Monday, May 10, 2010

Money 101 for us 20-somethings

Money management is a something that I personally struggle with. Yes, it is true: even people with amazing style and wit have trouble sometimes managing their money and figuring out exactly what they spend their money on and why 5 lattes from Starbucks add up to one fat lump of money. But lucky for people like me, who could barely get past pre-calc part one in college, there is an awesome online program called Mint.com that does all the legwork for you. It works like this: you sync up with all your major credit card accounts, banks, loan companies, and anything you might have in your investment portfolio and basically let Mint do the rest. They can make budgets for you, offer advice, and graph out exactly what you are spending your money on, on a day to day basis. It has been great for me realizing that my networth is somwhere in the negative 10k's. Yes, upon seeing this lovely figure it came to me that this might be a good time to stop shopping so much and maybe, just MAYBE, start paying off my school loans. Good idea, right?

In any case, I recomend it for the money stupid like me: Mint.com.

No comments: